What makes a package unique and memorable? Is it the touch, the visual impression, the sound, the scent? Or all of the above? When experiencing a package, we use all our senses and in a more and more digital world the importance of engaging all the senses is increasing. Unboxing videos showing off a new product in its package by using all senses have become very popular. A luxury brand of today has a lot to gain by taking advantage of this opportunity to get the consumers attention by touching the senses.
Consider augmented reality, sound effects, tactile surfaces, visual illusions, and ASMR. Go Google ASMR! Interesting stuff!
And consider the sustainability angle. Carefully. Because it has to be covered.
THE 2020 ASSIGNMENT: AWAKEN THE SENSES
The key word is senses.
How can you make a packaging and/or unboxing experience unique by engaging the senses?
Create a sustainable, innovative and functional packaging concept that talks to the senses and stands out. Use a fictitious brand and create a unique packaging solution. Be innovative, be bold, be playful!
BASIC RULES OF THE COMPETITION
Entry: A sustainable, innovative, functional – and sensual! – packaging concept for a fictitious brand.
Material: CrownBoard from BillerudKorsnäs.
Target audience: Modern urban consumers with high expectations.
Market segments in focus: Cosmetics & beauty care, luxury drinks, premium food & confectionery.
- Short film showcasing the experience of your concept & package (Note: Most music and pictures are copyrighted and must not be used without permission. Make sure to secure user rights before including protected content in your application material.)
- Digital presentation (ppt or similar), including a clear presentation of the features of the project and sustainability factors, also considering protection of contents and user friendliness.
- A one-page presentation/explanation of the packaging concept, with a drawing or outline of the structural design.
- Physical prototypes (3 sets)
- Documentation. For full details, see Guidelines for documentation.